Do you hate having your picture taken?


Why does everyone shrug at the thought of taking their photograph?
Why do woman hate the way they look?

It's the most common statement I hear when I have my camera in my hand. "Don’t take a picture of me, I look terrible." The funny thing is that I can see the beauty in everyone. Everyone is beautiful and if shot properly we don't look like a dear in the headlights caught off guard with three double chins.

And actually I understand. I have always hated being in front of the camera. And if I happened to be in front of one I felt an immediate sense of dread. Now someone was watching, was a I standing right, did I have lipstick on, did I look fat, please don't look at me.

So what can I do to understand and change this?

I started on this journey of photographing myself, trying to understand which postures make me look the best and why, trying to relax and feel comfortable, and finally playing a role of some kind like an actor on stage instead of my clumsy body.

It has been a journey for me. Here is a preview of the exploration that I have done.

Always turn your face at an angle - it creates definition

Take lots of pictures

Don't use a wide angle lens. It makes your forehead look BIG




PLAY!

Pretend to be someone else

Alway turn your body slightly away from the camera - it makes you look thinner

3 comments:

Joy said...

I love this, Lindsay. It's thought-provoking AND practical! Plus, the pictures are fabulous.

Rich said...

Hi Lindsay,
I'm one who "hates" to have my picture taken, but love being behind the camera. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. Your self portraits are great! Really like the one with four pics and the crazy colors added to it.

Daria said...

You DO see the beauty in everything. It's quite evident from your photos. Thanks for sharing!!!